Grenville's grandfather Mark Johnson who purchased the house in the year 1900.

Grenville’s grandfather Mark Johnson who purchased the house in the year 1900.

The original Victorian garden was probably typical of the countless gardens to be found at the rear of town houses that were built before the end of the 19th century.The original garden consisted of a narrow garden strip to the side of the house with its own entrance from the public pathway, and a small rear courtyard that was planted with what Grenville describes as an uninspiring planting scheme. The garden now measures 20 feet by 18 feet and consist of two levels. As a child, Grenville remembers his regular visits to his grandparents in the house at 28 Kensington Road, when the house was lit by gas and had coal fires.

Grenville’s grandparents purchased the property in 1900 after their wedding, and he inherited the house from his grandmother in 1972, and the house has remained in the same family for over 100 years.Until 1972 the garden was smaller than now, as there was an outdoor Victorian ‘privy’ or toilet and a washhouse that was demolished in 1972 to give more space. There were narrow borders that were filled with Lilies of the valley and Dahlias, and drab concrete paths that led from the house.

There was no interest for the autumn or winter seasons, but this style of gardening was typical for the majority of suburban gardens from the years after the war.

It was not until the advent of television and the growing popularity of gardening programmes and magazines in the 1990’s that gardening became more popular.

After inheriting the house, the first garden to be built in 1976 by  Grenville was designed as an Italianate courtyard that was very easy to maintain.

The garden has continued to evolve and develop to the present day.